Ambre's Pontifications

a place to share, encourage, and just write what comes to mind... with an occasional rant thrown in for good measure!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States

Tuesday, February 8

doy's and my's dancing was enough to throw four screaming one yr. olds into stunned silence.

In today’s reading in the devotional My Utmost for His Highest, Oswald Chambers discusses the true cost and meaning of sanctification. He defines sanctification as “…being made one with Jesus so that the disposition that ruled him will rule us.” I found this to be very helpful as I have been pondering these matters while doing the Bible study Becoming a Woman of Excellence. I’ve been pretty discouraged because I don’t feel I have any of the “excellence” qualities that I have been reading about. Even more upsetting though was my desire to grow, but finding that I had no clear vision of what I was working towards or how I would know when I got there. It all just seemed way too overwhelming. Oswald Chambers continues his sermon though by saying that “…the one and only characteristic of the Holy Ghost in a man is a strong family likeness to Jesus Christ, and freedom from everything that is unlike Him.” Now this I can relate to!
When I went to see my Dad, Jeff, and the rest of my family after seventeen years apart, I was very worried about how it would go. How would they know I was really part of the family? Would I feel I belonged or would I always just be an outsider? Imagine my joy to walk in the door and see that my fourteen year old brother is the spitting image of me at that age (poor boy!) and no one could ever be confused as to whether or not we were related. My sister Morgan’s son (my fat nephew, Tucker) looked just like I did as an infant and she and I have a lot of similar facial features. I could go on, but instead let me say that even though most of us have different mothers, we all share likenesses because we share a father.
I am now inspired to strive to become so like Jesus, my brother, that everyone will know that we share the same Father. A strong family likeness is what made me feel I belonged and wasn’t just an imposter with my biological family and I know it will be the same with my spiritual family.
Sorry if this analogy did nothing but bore everyone, but it did a lot for me.
Psalm 145:6-7 Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, and I will declare your greatness. They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness, and shall sing of Your righteousness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home